Sunday, December 29, 2013

Art and Appetite: American Painting, Culture and Cuisine at Art Institute of Chicago

Food and art enthusiasts should be excited for the exhibition that showcases food in American Painting that spans 1750-1965, which is on display until January 27th, 2014 in the Windy City. I wrote about food as the subject of painting for my grade 6 students not too long ago and created my own presentation here. Food is a great way to connect with students and drawing and painting food reinforces so many fundamental art skills I teach that include: how to draw volume, perspective, color theory and how to create an overall composition that has a focal point. Click here to see some of the final paintings my former grade 6 students created with tempera paint on canvas panels.
Lime and Coconut by Monica Hopenwasser

Sometimes when I feel like I am in an creative rut, I return to subjects I love (or hate, depending on my mood) to focus on my skills, rather than the concept or idea for the painting/drawing. I am a foodie and food is accessible, comforting and something I always go back to when I just need to draw and practice observation.
        

If you can't make it to Chicago, you can own the book that accompanies the exhibition, which I found at Barnes and Noble while holiday shopping and I was excited at the compilation of both well-known and some lesser known artists that I can share in my presentation when I teach this project. One criticism I have is that I wish the exhibition included more recent works and emerging talent from the past twenty years, instead of ending with the 1960s. With current trends of farm to table eating habits, banning of trans fats, and vegan and gluten free living, it would be interesting to see how artists today depict foods that reflect recent American culture, politics and economies and showcase more contemporary artists. 

 

Check out the links below to read reviews and learn more about the exhibition.
Art Institute of Chicago
Wall Street Journal Online
Chicago Reader
Chicagoist

ABC Local News Video

No comments:

Post a Comment